God’s Motivational Squad
So many believer blogs put up these motivational things, like somehow this helps. For me it just brings up questions. Lets examine this:
I saw this one tonight with a nice calming picture:
So my brain start expanding on this:
- What if you got pregnant by your husband and neither of you want a child right this moment? What say you god? (god is in control?)
- What if you just got shot by a nutjob with a gun? What say you god? (god is in control)
- What if you just got told you have 6 weeks to live? What say you god? (god is with you?)
- What if your child just got told they have 6 weeks to live? What say you god? (god is with you?)
- What if you just learned of an earthquake that killed 7500 people where your family lives? What say you god? (god is in control?)
- Oh, so your time share just got reduced to toothpicks by a hurricane? What say you god? (god restores?)
- Ahh, your twin sister just was diagnosed with genetic based brain tumor? What say you god? (god is with you?)
- Lost a limb in a car crash? What say you god? (god restores?)
These motivational things are so depressing. They sound good at first but when you think about them it’s basically a very well decorated ‘screw you’ … That’s the kind of thing I don’t need.
The message here is that god is some kind of snake oil that cures everything, except there is no evidence that prayer has ever worked. There is no evidence that god ever stopped any of the bad stuff from happening to anyone. He just sits back and watches … apparently.
You’re much better off with good insurance. Yep, “gecko not god”. Wonder if that fits well on a bumper sticker?
For those not in the US, one insurance carrier uses a Gecko as it’s mascot/icon