Religion Is A Scam
I found this on a blog – not saying where or linking. They don’t need extra views from me.
This is one of those pieces that sounds like ‘why can’t we all just get along?’ but in the end it’s pleading to listen to goodness of religion is not unlike Narcissus gazing into the calm waters of a shallow pond. Yes, we are encouraged to join in the shallow goals and claims of the religious. Ignore the bad parts, come look at the lovely parts and be with us, join us. Do not pay any attention to the ugliness waiting around the corner if you do. That’s not going to get ‘you’… come enjoy the lovely parts with us.
So lets see how this all really works out if you apply a critical mind to it:
Religion, if used constructively, is a tool for explaining life in a comforting manner. In this context, it’s not about infallible technical explanations — because really, that data is not available — it’s about explaining life in a way that’s easier to deal with and in a way that leads to enjoyment. Simply, religion can be a means to attain satisfaction with life.
- If used constructively? – Right. That’s exactly how it gets used in movies and dreams. In the real world it is used to justify all the evil you can think of.
- Explaining life in a comforting manner – Right, so the fact that a gamma ray burst could fry us all tomorrow can be explained in a comforting manner. Every six seconds a child dies of starvation or starvation related illness – how is that explained in a comforting manner? Over cheeseburgers and a shake?
- Infallible technical explanations? – Lets skip those because we don’t have those. No, you don’t need them if you just do as I say.
- An explanation that leads to enjoyment and satisfaction with life? – Apparently all that enjoyment leads the clergy to depression
And just because religion has been used for manipulative and destructive purposes, and as a way to stubbornly retain the past, doesn’t mean the concept can’t benefit modern civilization. If effectively utilized, religion is not the antithesis of progress, but the pathway to it.
- Well, over 2000+ years it has not benefited civilization unless you call the progress of war and death a benefit
- Oh, it’s just a pathway to progress… 400 years to apologize to Galileo. Yep, that’s progress. Don’t worry about the anti-marriage equality, anti-abortion, anti-health care, witch hunts or any of that other bad stuff. Really, religion is about progress… in the same way that icebergs are about making cruise liner movies
Ideas such as the underlying unity of all lifeforms, the rejection of selfishness, the fulfillment of purpose, the non-finality of death — these tenets can be reinforced through doctrine and adopted by anyone seeking satisfaction from life.
- Underlying unity of all lifeforms? – Oh, you mean common ancestry? Doh, fucked that one up too.
- Rejection of selfishness? – except for stuff like this: “Mission Congo” Exposes Robertson’s Greed
- Purpose? – oh do tell, what is our purpose here? Practice for heaven? Fight the non-believers?
- Non-finality of death? – really, what is more final than death, it means this life is over. Your dreams of an afterlife are just that, dreams.
- Tenets need reinforcing? Yes, doctrine and indoctrination. That is how reasonable people make choices… not.
We can’t prove the underlying nature of life, not even after thousands of years of civilization — so we’re left with ideology — with religion. It is in our interest then, to admit the unknowableness of life and try to piece together a set of ideas to not only cope with life, but to excel within it, facilitating our satisfaction and enjoyment.
- We don’t know the nature of life. Mind you, we did tell you what your purpose is and how to be fulfilled and satisfied. We’re going to make up the apparent dichotomy by giving you ideology… just some shit we made up… just for religion.
- The first step is to admit that science can’t teach us anything. Only doctrine from bronze age men can give us knowledge and wisdom.
- We have nothing newer than about 2500 years old, but we can show you how to cope with modern life AND excel within it. Look around you and see all the politicians and rich people and successful people who believe in gods. Don’t listen to any of these people or these people or these people or these people either. None of them are successful in this life because they don’t have religion.
There is nothing useful in this soggy whitewashed fluffy bullshit. This is like the guy with a windowless van offering candy to children. Isn’t it odd how many children get abused and raped by religion’s minions? I wonder why all this goodness attracts so many paedophiles. One can only wonder. Perhaps it’s the get out of jail free card or the insta-respect they demand from everyone for being good followers of an imaginary god who looks down constantly and does nothing about their abuses. I mean, fuck the children, right? They’re only kids. There’s no reason to come out of hiding to protect them… they’ll forget when they turn 18.
Fuck gods and these supposed well meaning people who can’t take the time to examine their dogma and doctrine to find out why atheists don’t like them very much. Fuck the lot of them. They aren’t worth saving… let them drown in the backlash unless they learn to swim in the real world.